Slip and fall accidents happen suddenly and sometimes leave behind serious injuries that are difficult to overcome. The CDC estimates around 30% of falls result in moderate to severe injuries. When someone is seriously injured in a slip and fall, they can often hold the property owner responsible for the damages they suffered.
What Is a Slip and Fall?
Slip and fall is used to describe a personal injury that results from a person slipping or tripping, causing a fall on someone else’s property. There are a few common reasons slip and falls occur. Individuals can learn more by visiting www.billhurst.com today.
- Poor lighting
- Uneven flooring
- Loose carpeting
- Waxed or mopped floors
5 Steps to Take After a Slip and Fall Accident Occurs
When a slip and fall accident occurs on another person’s property, there are a few critical steps the victim must take to ensure they protect their rights. Taking these steps will help to ensure the victim receives a fair settlement for their measurable damages.
- The first step after any serious slip and fall injury is to always seek medical attention. A victim’s number one priority should be their health. No matter how minor or serious injuries may seem, it is always wise to seek prompt medical attention. Many people do not immediately realize how injured they are until the shock begins to wear off.
- The victim needs to notify the property owner as soon as possible. Victims need to inform the landlord, property owner, or manager. If the accident occurred at a business, the owner or manager should fill out an accident report. If an accident report is filed, the injured victim needs to make sure they receive a copy.
- Collecting evidence is essential for any personal injury case. If any eyewitnesses saw the accident, the victim should make sure they get the contact information for these individuals. Other important forms of evidence include the following.
- Photos of the injuries
- Photos from the scene
- Medical reports
- Medical bills
- Proof of lost wages
Collecting such evidence and presenting them all in front of your personal injury lawyer will assist you to seek the maximum perks of such claims. This should be done in alignment with your attorney. If you are clueless about it, you can find out more here and get the best medical assistance.
- It never hurts to consult with a lawyer to determine the legal options that are available. Some victims shy away from seeking legal help because they erroneously believe this means they are forced to go to court. Hiring a lawyer will often help victims to get a fair settlement without court.
- The process of seeking compensation for a slip and fall accident is not always easy and can sometimes be lengthy. It is wise for victims to document everything along the way. Notes about symptoms, doctor’s appointments and treatments will help prove pain and suffering and other measurable damages. When a slip and fall accident occurs, documentation helps in court.
Avoid Unfair Obstacles
Victims of slip and fall accidents sometimes fall victim to unscrupulous insurance adjusters or property owners who are denying the injury claim. Victims need to protect their rights and ensure they are following the advice received from their lawyer. A lawyer can often help victims receive a greater settlement amount.
Slip and falls can occur for many reasons and are often due to property owner negligence. When someone is injured, they have the right to pursue a property owner for their damages. Taking the steps above will help victims to avoid problems in seeking compensation.