Loss of memory is one of the most common symptoms for ageing. People usually notice that they start forgetting some routine matters due to short term memory loss that is usually associated with aging. It is very common to forget some familiar name or some important task as your brain gets worked up due to age or stress. Here are some tried and tested home remedies to overcome such memory issues and keep your brain young forever.
1. Physical Exercise – When you talk about the brain, the first thing that comes to your mind is a mental exercise. However, studies suggest that physical exercise is equally important to keep your brain young. Exercise increases blood circulation, pumps up your heart, ensures more oxygen supply to various parts of the body, and also slows down brain tissue loss. Keeping your body fit can also help in keeping your brain young.
2. Keep the Learning on! – Your brain stays active till you keep it active and involved. You may keep the learning on to make sure your brain is exercised well. The more you involve yourself in mental calculations, memory games, mental puzzles, and learning new things, the less are the chances of your brain getting old.
3. Meditate for Good – Meditation is one of the most effective ways to relax your mind and body. It has been observed that regular meditation brings down your mental stress considerably. When your brain is not stressed, it’s aging also slows down. Also, meditation improves your concentration and would result in an active brain.
4. Yoga – Meditation is part of yoga. However, yoga is the complete form of exercise intended for the entire body. It establishes a balance between body and mind. It helps oxygen to reach your body cells more effectively. When your brain gets more oxygen supply, it stays young and agile.
5. Healthy Fats – Including healthy fats in your diet would reduce the inflammation and hence slow down the process of aging. Healthy fat like omega -3 fatty acids have various benefits including cardiovascular health, radiant skin, reducing inflammation, and have anti-aging properties too. Salmon is a good source of omega-3 fatty acids and walnut is one of the best vegetarian sources of omega-3. You may also find supplements for this healthy fat if you are not able to incorporate the same in your diet.
6. Anti-oxidants help! – Anti-oxidants have anti-aging properties. They fight the free radicals in your body to keep it away from chronic health problems. Including antioxidant-rich foods like berries, red wine, nuts, green tea, and seeds in your diet would keep your brain and body younger for longer. You will be able to keep all the visible signs of aging at bay.
7. Take a Break – You may not find it necessary by your brain needs relaxation. Give it a break! Go out in open and stay away from gadgets for a while. Go offline, read a book, and stay outdoors to let your brain unwind. This will help your brain regain its strength. The age-related loss of tissues can be checked effectively by giving a break to your brain once in a while.
8. Proper Sleep and Rest – Sleeping is your body’s way of rejuvenating and relaxing. This is the time when it gets a good amount of oxygen. Good sleep is necessary to reduce inflammation and to relax muscles. A proper 8 hours of sleep will wake you up fresh and may also feed your brain with the required nutrients. A sleeping position is a position in which your entire body is at the same level and hence the blood flows to all parts of the body effectively. When you sleep like a baby, the chances of you getting old goes low.
Staying young and active requires proper food, exercise, and rest. A balanced life with a nutrient-rich diet will go a long way in keeping your brain and body young. Above mentioned lifestyle modifications would work only when started from an early age as they are aimed to prevent aging and not to reverse the same. If the memory loss has already been triggered then consult your doctor to find the root cause. Even the deficiency of certain vitamins and minerals may result in memory loss; hence seek medical assistance if required.