Sometimes we need a change of scenery in our houses, especially in the kitchen, where things usually remain the same for a longer period. But since we do not always have the means for a change, a DIY project is the best plan for a low budget. Although it requires a little bit more time, recreating the things around your house will make you feel better and prepared for many other future projects. So, let’s see how you can change your old kitchen with a brand new one.
The colour of the cabinets is quite important as they’re installed on the entire room, so you must be mindful of what tone you use and what you want to inspire. For example, warm colours like orange and yellow can make the room look lively and hospitable, while colder tones, like violet or blue make the room feel rawer. On the other hand, black and white are for minimalists, while you may see a bunch of different tones at a maximalist’s house. Therefore, the pigment matters a lot.
So, what colours should you choose? You can look at the trending tones this year or season and get some inspiration. For example, some of the most popular kitchen colours for 2022 are:
- White (natural woods, marble and accessories usually complete that)
- Black (although you can combine it with many tones, going all-black is better)
- Blue (paired with light woods and creamy countertops)
- Grey (perfect for traditional kitchens, with warm wooden surfaces and charcoal cabinetry)
- Green (great for shaker-style kitchens, with classic wood floors)
- Red (paired with raw materials like natural woods and stone)
- Yellow (an excellent base for blue highlights and aubergine)
- Orange (petty versatile; best combined with darker woods)
- Cream (perfect for metallics like cooper)
- Pink (perfect for natural materials like mahogany and classic white marble)
People seem to fancy quiet colours for their kitchens, and bold tones have gone out of fashion. On the other hand, black kitchens have surprisingly increased in popularity since they make the room look majestic and luxurious. So, how do you apply paint?
Painting your cabinet doors is pretty easy, and it may cost you around £200 only to buy the supplies and the paint, so it’s affordable. You must ensure that the paint is 100 percent acrylic formulation if you buy the latex version to avoid short-term damage to it. You can also consider oil paint, as it may be more durable and levels out smoother.
Steps to paint your kitchen doors
- Empty and clean the room. Don’t forget to set up a paint station so you can paint easily;
- Remove the doors, drawers, and shelves;
- Clean all the surfaces with a degreaser solution and let them dry;
- Lightly sand the doors to give the primer something to adhere to;
- After the first layer of primer, smooth the surface again;
- Paint the cabinets with at least three coats;
- After drying, put back the pieces again and enjoy your new cabinets;
Replacing kitchen cabinet doors
Another way to have new kitchen doors is to replace the old ones, and this is more affordable than replacing the whole layout, and you have many more design options. But you have a few things to keep in mind when making this project.
First of all, you need to make sure the carcass is suitable for replacing the doors. Look for water damage which usually is prone to happen with carcasses made from melamine-faced chipboard. Plus, you’ll need to decide if the current internal layout is still enough in terms of storage because if your lifestyle changes and you need more space, you may consider replacing the carcass as well as the doors.
After you get these things out of the way, it’s time to choose your replacement doors. Besides the design, which you will find many options to choose from, you need to look for the door sizes that fit into the carcass. Most of the time, doors have standard sizes, which you can find in stores like IKEA, but if you have a bespoke kitchen, you may need custom-made replacements. Know that you can do the installation quickly, as some doors are supplied with pre-drilled fixing and hinge holes. Sometimes these doors will be delivered with no handles, meaning you may need to buy them separately.
You also need to measure your old doors to ensure you get the right size. It would be best to measure the back of the doors, as the front may have rounded edges and make sure you work in millimetres.
Lastly, the cost of these replacements will vary depending on the style, quality and size of your kitchen. Changing 12 doors, let’s say, will cost you about £300, but other retailers offer such door replacements starting with £3,000, so you need to think thoroughly if this change is only temporary or for the long run.
How to replace your kitchen doors step by step
Now that you know how to paint your kitchen doors, here’s a step-by-step guide on how to replace them. You won’t need a lot of things, mainly a screwdriver, as you’ll undo the old hinges and install your new doors:
- Start removing the hinges by taking off the bottom one first;
- Fit the new backplate (or hinge plate) to the inside of the cabinet;
- For the other part of the hinge to the door and make sure its arm remains at the right angle to the edge of the door;
- Fix the hinge into its plate and screw it into position by attaching the top hinge first;
- Fit the handles to your doors;
- Adjust the hinges until all operate smoothly. Keep in mind not to tight screw too much as you may damage them;
And you’re done! You have a brand-new kitchen for which you don’t need to break the bank, and the installation is easy. Next time you want to make a change to your kitchen, know there are always better ways to do it, and you’ll also have fun doing it.