Cool sculpting is a cosmetic procedure that involves controlled non-invasive treatment to eliminate layers of fat under the skin. However, this procedure eliminates small chunks of fat to shape the body and cannot be used for weight loss or to treat obesity. Specialists at Inbloom Health + Medispa offer Londonderry cool sculpting procedures to eliminate fat in the chin, thighs, back, abdomen, and under the buttocks.
Cool sculpting is not a treatment option for overweight and obese patients as it only eliminates small chunks of fat under the skin.
You should not have the treatment if you have:
- Cryoglobulinemia: a condition where an abnormal level of cryoglobulin is present in the blood. Cryoglobulins are proteins that thicken following exposure to cold temperatures.
- Paroxysmal cold hemoglobinuria: This blood disorder can lead to red blood cell death after exposure to extreme temperature changes.
- Cold agglutinin disease: This autoimmune disorder can lead to red blood cell death upon blood exposure to cold temperatures.
- Inform your doctor if you have any of the below conditions:
- You have an open or infected wound in the treatment area
- You have impaired peripheral circulation in the treatment area
- You have an active implanted device, for example, a pacemaker or defibrillator
- You suffer from cold urticaria
- You have chronic pain or anxiety disorder.
What to expect during a cool sculpting procedure
During a cool sculpting procedure, your care provider will first conduct a thorough physical examination to evaluate the current state of your body. He will also review your medical history and aesthetic goals. If you are close to your ideal body weight, your doctor will recommend cool sculpting to eliminate unwanted fat.
During the procedure, a cool sculpting device noninvasively delivers controlled cooling on the target area. The low temperatures will freeze and destroy unwanted fat cells. Afterward, your doctor will perform ZWave treatment that improves blood circulation in the skin to enhance the injured fat cells’ elimination. The treatment also involves transforming collagen structure using radial shock waves to tighten and firm the skin.
You will start to notice results as early as three weeks after the procedure. However, full results usually take up to three months after the area has completely healed and your body has absorbed all the injured fat cells.
You may experience redness, mild bruising, and firmness in the treatment area.
Submental area treatment causes the following effects:
- Sensations of fullness at the back of the throat
- Tongue deviation due to cold exposure to the hypoglossal nerve
- Lower lip weakness due to cold exposure to the marginal mandibular nerve
- Dry mouth due to cold exposure to the submandibular gland
Possible side effects vary depending on the treatment site and include:
- Paradoxical hyperplasia: Enlarged tissue volume in the treatment area. Paradoxical hyperplasia usually develops two to five months after treatment and may require surgical intervention to correct it.
- Vasovagal symptoms: Nausea, dizziness, and lightheadedness after treatment.
- Hyperpigmentation: Dark coloration of the skin after treatment that usually fades on its own.
- Hernia: Cool sculpting may lead to hernia formation in the treatment area or worsen the existing hernia. Surgery is usually required to treat the hernia.
If you are looking to eliminate unwanted fat in the submental area, flank, inner or outer thighs, or abdomen, cool sculpting is a possible treatment option. Contact Inbloom Health + Medispa to learn more about the procedure or book your appointment online today.
Photo by Tim Samuel from Pexels