Did you know that more than 25 million American adults have some form of incontinence? The condition emanates from problems with the muscles and nerves responsible for holding and releasing urine and intensifies with age. While incontinence is common, and most people keep it secret. Fortunately, most cases are treatable with medication, surgery, and physical therapy.
Hygiene products like adult diapers are vital in managing incontinence. Although they don’t resolve the issue, they help you live a comfortable and dignified lifestyle. When you or your loved one needs adult diapers, choosing the right one can be daunting with many brands and types in the market.
Read on to learn six things to consider when choosing adult diapers and the best brands available.
Choosing the Right Adult Diaper
Consider the following factors when choosing an adult diaper.
- Type: Typically, adult diapers are available as pull-ups, reusable diapers, and briefs. Pull-ups are similar to regular underwear, fit discreetly under your pants or dress, and are suitable for persons with mild incontinence. Diapers with tabs have flexible tabs on the side and are excellent for people with limited mobility. Reusable diapers can be washed and used more than once and have varying absorbencies.
- Absorbency: When determining the appropriate absorbency levels, consider the type of incontinence and preexisting allergies. Also, when will the diaper be worn, daytime or night?
- Size: A good diaper should fit correctly to prevent leaks, overflow accidents, and infection.
- Backing material: Typically, diapers are cloth-backed or plastic-backed, depending on your needs. Cloth-backed diapers promote airflow for a pleasant wearing experience, while plastic-backed diapers trade airflow for more excellent absorbency, increasing infection risk.
- Odor-wicking technology: Opt for an adult diaper with odor elimination to lock in the odors of urine and fecal matter.
- Gender specificity: Some adult diapers are designed for men, women, or both genders. Read the label and description to determine an incontinence product’s gender target.
The Best Adult Diapers
Unique Wellness Adult Diapers
Research shows that Americans use approximately 27.4 billion diapers annually, sending 3.4 million tons of used diapers to landfills each year. While switching to reusable diapers would seem like an excellent option to reduce the number of incontinence products ending up in landfills, it is not considering the fuel and resulting pollution from washing the diapers.
Biodegradable diapers like Unique Wellness come in handy to reduce the carbon footprint for manufacturing and washing reusable diapers and alleviate landfill use. They come in two primary types: Wellness Absorbent underwear for mild incontinence and Wellness Brief Superio Series side-taped diapers for advanced incontinence protection.
The standout features of Unique wellness adult diapers include;
- Environment friendly
- Superior absorption -lasts up to eight hours, thanks to Nasa-inspired InconTek technology.
Dry Direct Ultimate Protective Underwear
It is a reliable and absorbent adult diaper that has worn the heart of many caregivers. The diaper gives unsurpassed comfort due to the full-rise panel on the waist and the cloth-like fabric on the outer layers. Its top features are;
- Exceptional absorbency and leak guards
- Highly breathable, thus does not irritate the skin
- Odor protection
- Available in different sizes
Tranquility Premium Daytime Disposable Absorbent Underwear
It is an excellent choice for people who need heavy leak protection. With this adult diaper, you get the following;
- Good absorption to keep your skin dry
- Discreet comfort and easy movement
- Tear-aware side seams for easy removal and disposal
- Neutralizes odors
- Inner leg guards to prevent leakage
Prevail Daily Pull-up Underwear for Women
This brand acknowledges that incontinence is more likely to affect women than men due to life events like pregnancy and childbirth. Subsequently, they designed an incontinence product that offers protection while maintaining style and comfort. The diaper is easy to use, and you slide the diaper up the legs. Among the standout features of this adult diaper include;
- Ultra-absorbent and leak-free
- Omni-odor guard to keep you smelling and feeling fresh
- Clothlike backing for greater comfort and peace of mind
- Specifically designed for women
Abena Abri-Flex Pull-up
It is a premium and gender-neutral pull-up for urine and bowel incontinence. The diaper is comfortable and offers adequate overnight protection. It has tear-away seams, smooth cloth backing, and a built-in odor guard system for a pleasant wearing experience.
TENA ProSkin Protective Pro Skin Pull-Up Underwear
This diaper’s unisex design combines its polymer technology to provide superior absorption. Users remain dry and comfortable even after hours; no odor or leakage will be evident. They don’t have to worry about waking up to messy sheets and cloth diapers.
Remarkable features of this adult diaper are:
Quick absorbency due to polymer core
- Keeps leakage at bay
- Boosts three times breathability than other diapers
Dry Direct Maxi –Overnight Brief
The dry direct maxi is your best bet if you need an adult diaper for sensitive skin. It is PEFC certified and 100% latex free and has a capacity of over five cups of fluid, lasting up to eight hours. One of the best features of this diaper is a witness indicator on the outside that fades when soaked. Also, it comes with leak guards and leg gathers for maximum protection.
While incontinence is rampant, it can be embarrassing and frustrating. Luckily, adult diapers offer a discreet yet comfortable way to deal with the condition. They are reliable and deliver maximum absorbency, odor elimination, and leak protection so you can live a whole and dignified life. Do not let incontinence lower your life quality; try the diaper brands listed above!